Tuesday, November 3, 2009

New Beginnings

It's no secret that I have long been an admirer of Dan Savage, Augusten Burroughs, David Sedaris, Michael Thomas Ford, and other humorous, insightful columnists and essayists. As much as I found myself smiling and nodding my head to things they would write about, there were things that I, as a bisexual female, could not relate to in the world of gay men that they write about. In spite of an exhaustive search, I have yet discovered a lesbian or bisexual writer who spoke to me, and not just part of me.

From 2003-2005, I began writing what became a fairly popular column for a now-defunct website. I had become the columnist I had always wanted to read, and I was thrilled when others responded the way I had always dreamed they would. There was no title to my column then, and I haven't written one for that site since 2005. In the world of batshit crazy writers, the month of November is synonymous with Nanowrimo. The challenge of Nanowrimo is to write a 50,000 word novel in thirty days. Two years ago, the busiest person I know (who I am sure will come up a time or two) managed to finish. I have yet to do so. This year, I am determined. If she can do it while juggling eight billion things at once, surely I can do it. I know I can. And I am hell-bent upon doing it this time. At the same time, I've always wanted to continue writing those essays that for two years, gained me a marginal amount of notoriety among my small readership. The essays I'm going to post here were largely written for that website (edited for clarity, omission of certain personal details, and other such things) as well as a few new ones.

Welcome to my world.

Support the revolution and your local microbrewery.

-Jen

No comments: